Monday, January 22, 2007

Indian 30 hour train ride

Hey guys I don't have enough time to write a proper post, but I'm going to do my best to give you some idea as to whats been happening. Right now I'm in Bodhgaya, which is like Buddhist capital of the world or something. To get here I had to catch a 30 hour train from Dehra Dun, (if you don't know where that is don't worry, I don't either)

The train was a truly memorable experience. On the train we were watching the security guards holding machine guns smoking marijuana right in front of us, had some Hindu yogi hassle us for bisects and when we refused he started flashing his penis at us and showing us pictures of Hindu gods in the attempt to threaten us, had a eunuch ask us for money and then try and put a black magic spell on us, when we all started laughing she/he left us alone. We also had a group of locals storm our carriage because they thought were movie stars and wanted our autographs and to shake our hands.... most interesting train trip I have ever had.

India is truly a crazy place, and when you get used to it, it can be a really fun place to be. Just to let you know.. i have never seen a digital camera for sale yet. A crowed of people gathered around me while i was taking photos in complete amazement just to watch me take photos. they had never seen anything like my digital camera and were fascinated to see how it works. Also don't be surprised to see 5 year old mobile phones being advertised as "new mobile technology" here.... In fact all technology is about 5 to 10 years behind in India. I bought some dodgy DVDs the other day. one of them was music video hits in India from the 1970's. If you thought Saturday night Fever was bad wait till you see this.... it cost me about $1... a great investment in Indian music video culture.



(There are many great photo opportunities in India... this was one of them)

No comments: