Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Return to Sydney (via Dubai)

Hey all. I'm now In Dubai and tomorrow I will catching a flight to Sydney.

I have had an interesting trip getting to Dubai. My bags were heavy... like really heavy. in Kathmandu i had my pockets absolutely stuffed full of the heaviest things i could fit in there. I was carrying about 5 books in my jacket, battery chargers and things in my cargo pants, and the guy searching me was like... "what's going on with this guy". despite this I was still like 8-9 kg over my weight limit. This dodgy customs guy looks at me and says "come with me". the guy looks at my bags, sees that they are overweight but says "don't worry, its ok" ... wink wink.... he keeps doing this for a while and i figured he wanted a bribe. I opened up my wallet in front of everyone and pulled out some money... the guy panicked and snatched the money off me as quickly as possible (without looking to see how much it was) and put my bags on the plane.

If the guy charged me for excess weight it would have cost me up to $100. The amount i gave him was 50 Nepalese rupees. (less than 1 dollar Australian). If the guy looked at the note i gave him he would have probably got the shits and charged me, but because i did it in front of everyone he panicked soo much that he didn't even look.

When i checked my bags into the Air India counter in Delhi their scales were broken so they couldn't weigh my bags, how fortunate, Oh how I love Air India.... so efficient, so reliable.

I now face Dubai airport... I'm planing on ignoring all the rules and talking my way through everything (Italian Style). Wish me luck..

So finally i will be back in Sydney... does anyone remember me?


(View of my hotel in Dubai, err.... actaully no, my hotel was about 45min away from here where all the migrant workers lived. I think my hotel was one of the only finished buildings in the area)

No comments: