Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Italy and an Australian

Italy is interesting as usual. I met a married couple, and they have been taking me out buying me drinks and ice-cream and stuff just because I am from Australia. Its crazy... all they want to do is talk about Australia and they are prepared to buy me stuff and spend time with me just to hear me talk about it.

People have no idea about Australia over here... I got asked the other day "which part of Australia is playing in the world cup?" people don't believe me when I tell them that Australia is only one country... they just don't get it. Also I put up an Australian flag outside my appartment for the world cup. While i was putting it up my neighbour asked me why i was putting the AMERICAN FLAG up!!!! WTF?

When Australia beat Japan in the world cup I was like the only Australian around... I went bike riding through the center of town (quite drunk) with a giant Australian flag tied around me like a cape. I was causing traffic hazards and shit (it was quite dangerous now that I think about it). Every now and then I would stop in a bar, talk about Australia, have a drink, and then kept riding. My uncle was driving a taxi around and he says heaps of people were talking about this crazy guy with a flag going around the town center... maybe I am crazy. Anyway this other guy I know said he is looking for a pair of Australian swimmers to buy for me to run through the town center if Australia wins again... he hasn't found them yet... I think this is a good thing.

No comments: